Facts and Figures
If you’re visiting defibshop Ireland with the intention of buying a life-saving defibrillator, you’re on the right path to ensuring your environment is Heart Safe.
Below we’ve shared some of the latest facts and figures you might like to learn from to get a little more knowledge about exactly what you need an AED for.
Although the information below can be quite unsettling, a lot of these statistics can be reduced or even prevented if more public access defibrillators are available throughout Ireland.
- Approximately 10,000 people die from cardiovascular disease every year in Ireland
- Of these, approximately 5,000 of these deaths are from a sudden cardiac arrest
- For every minute that goes by, a victim's chance of surviving a Sudden Cardiac Arrest drops 7-10%.
- 70% of cardiac arrests in Ireland occur out of hospital
- Of these, Irish statistics indicate that only 1% of these cardiac arrest victims survive
- Irish men and women have the highest rate of death before the age of 65 from coronary heart disease in the European Union.
- If a bystander is trained in CPR, they can administer this to this victim and double their chances of survival
- In total, around 270,000 people suffer a heart attack in the UK each year, with a third dying before reaching hospital due to cardiac arrest.
- If a defibrillator is used and effective CPR is performed within 3-5 minutes of cardiac arrest, survival chances increase from 6% to 74%.
- Public Access Defibrillators (PAD) are the main reason for increase in survival of victims of cardiac arrest in Ireland
If you have a question regarding any of the above facts and figures, or would like to discuss your options with our range of defibrillators, you can contact our friendly customer care team by calling +353 1 437 0124.
In addition to this, we also recommend you check out our FAQ page, which holds lots of helpful and useful information, to increase your knowledge of AEDs and Sudden Cardiac Arrest.